1.1
Additional Fees
Additional Services
Insurance Quality

I rented a car from Green Motion via the website trip.com, to be picked up at London City Airport and drive it to Cambridge. I needed only to get to Cambridge; I left it there in a secured parking lot and drove it back to the rental location. So, I was driving it only on the highway and I am sure there was no occasion for any damage.

When I arrived at the location to pick up the car, there was already a furious customer complaining that he was being charged for a scratch which he claimed he didn't cause. Apparently it was a small scratch but he was being charged more than 250 pounds. I was a little alarmed. But, when they showed me the car I was getting, which was a new Toyota Yaris without any damage, I felt relieved. However, when I returned the car, the guy who checked it told me there is a damage. I thought it must be a misunderstanding. But, no; he showed me this minuscule marking on the edge of the wheel rim (less than one cm long and hardly visible; I have taken a photo) . I am absolutely sure the marking must have been there and I didn't notice it at the time of pickup because it was simply not visible (see photos). He told me I had to pay 135 pounds for the damage. I wonder how many customers before me have paid for the same damage! I was still there when another customer arrived and he was told that an inflator was missing from the trunk. He was extremely angry as he said that he had not even opened the trunk; so, it would have been impossible for anything to get lost from there.

Apparently, these guys offer low prices and then use this dirty trick to earn much more money than the rental fee, using damage insurance clause. It is easy money to earn as the scratches and damages are simply never repaired. I am a university professor and have been travelling all over the world since 1986 and have rented cars in places as far as Thailand, New Zealand, Chili, etc. etc. I have never had an accident or damage to a rented car. I am absolutely sure I didn't damage this time either.

Read similar stories about Green Motion in an article in The Guradian about them (www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jun/09/green-motion-car-hire-bills).

Product or Service Mentioned: Green Motion Toyota Car Rental.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

I didn't like: False charges, Customer treatment, Unscrupulous.

Comments

I rent from Green Motion a lot and I have been charged for damage. It didn’t have an issue as I had actually marked the alloy.

As a university professor you should be able to agree the damage in the picture looks a great deal longer than 1cm long. Lots of messages where customers agree condition of car and then when it’s returned want to move the goal posts and say it was there previously. Whilst there could be an argument about specific costs and whether these are acceptable you must accept responsibility for the condition of the car when it’s collected and when it’s returned. So many say it wasn’t them who did it, it’s a wonder how the damage to the cars happens at all.

Some of the cars I’ve rented have bumps all over but if you believe all of the reports it’s never them. It’s not a ‘who done it’ mystery - get insurance and take responsibility!

to Real responsibilty renter #1644630

Really...All of these dissatisfied customers all over the internet with one common denominator...Green Motion is a dishonest and fraudulent business with no moral scruples or conscience. They should be ashamed.

Why would someone take time to write a review if not for a deep frustration and feeling of being wronged and cheated. This company needs to be held accountable.